Calvary UMC has an incredible 116 year history of serving the Waldorf, MD, community.
Calvary United Methodist Church has been serving Charles County since 1904. In those years, Calvary has developed and continues to maintain a passion for serving our neighbors, and inviting people of all ages into relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
Calvary was one of the first Methodist churches established in Southern Maryland. It was originally called Oakland Church and was part of the seven-point (churches) Prince George’s circuit. The first building was at the present site of Oakland Cemetery, one mile west on Berry Road.
When it was decided to build a new church in the town of Waldorf, the land for the church was given in 1898 by Philip and Ella Sasscer. The cornerstone for this church, called Calvary, was laid in 1903. The old Oakland Church was sold and torn down in the early 1900’s. A few pieces of wood were preserved and made into two small crosses that are now affixed to the choir loft in what is now known as the Old Chapel.
In 1948-49 the sanctuary was remodeled and Sunday school rooms and a fellowship hall were added. The parsonage burned on March 2, 1950, supposedly the windiest day of the year. As a result, the present brick parsonage was built.
In 1981, ground was broken and construction began on our present brick church that was dedicated and used for the first time on Easter Sunday, April 11, 1982.
From 1870 to the present, Calvary has had a total of 45 pastors. Our present pastor, Rev. Dr. Loretta Johnson, joined us in July 2020.